How to calculate boiler efficiency by Direct Method ?
in this article we discussed about the boiler efficiency how it calculated by direct and indirect method what are the factor responsible for the boiler efficiency . advantage or disadvantages of direct and indirect method for calculating boiler efficiency
Thermal efficiency of boiler is defined as the percentage of heat input that is effectively utilized to generate steam. There are two methods of assessing boiler efficiency.
1) Boiler Efficiency by Direct Method: Where the energy gain of the working fluid (water and steam) is compared with the energy content of the boiler fuel.
2) Boiler Efficiency by Indirect Method: Where the efficiency is the difference between the losses and the energy input.
- Boiler Efficiency by Direct Method This is also known as ‘input-output method’ due to the fact that it needs only the useful output (steam) and the heat input (i.e. fuel) for evaluating the efficiency. This efficiency can be evaluated using the formula:-
Parameters to be monitored for the calculation of boiler efficiency by direct method are :
- Quantity of steam generated per hour (Q) in kg/hr.
- Quantity of fuel used per hour (q) in kg/hr.
- The working pressure (in kg/cm2(g)) and superheat temperature (oC), if any
- The temperature of feed water (oC)
- Type of fuel and gross calorific value of the fuel (GCV) in kcal/kg of fuel
Where, hg – Enthalpy of saturated steam in kcal/kg of steam
hf – Enthalpy of feed water in kcal/kg of water
Advantages of Boiler Efficiency by direct method:
*Plant people can evaluate quickly the efficiency of boilers
*Requires few parameters for computation
*Needs few instruments for monitoring
Disadvantages of Boiler Efficiency by direct method:
*Does not give clues to the operator as to why efficiency of system is lower
*Does not calculate various losses accountable for various efficiency levels
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST “How to calculate boiler efficiency by Direct Method ?” PLEASE LIKE , SHARE AND YOU COMMENTS IS VERY VALUABLE SO PLEASE GIVE YOUR SUGGESTIONS IN COMMENT BOX please read once time if any mistake you find in this artical please suggest me through comment box or if this website contains all original article which are written by me if any article on this site find copyrighted please inform me through at [email protected]……..THANK’S
Heii all power engineers myself joginder chauhan . i am the founder of my website www.askpowerplant.com. i am also a power engineer and having the more than 5 year experience in the field of power sectors during this time period i learn about different power technology like AFBC , CFBC , TRAVELLING GRATE , PULSATING GREAT , PF BOILER , WHRS and many more things . my motive from this site sharing my power sector knowledge each and everyone who belonging to this field , in this website i share information related to boiler operation , boiler maintenance , turbine operation & maintenance , boiler & turbine question answer , D.M plant , and all topic related to power plant sector please join this website for latest updation regarding power plant ………..thanks ( JOGINDER CHAUHAN )