DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TUBE AND PIPE
- By : Joginder chauhan
- Category : BOILER QUESTION ANSWER, INTERVIEW Q & A, Uncategorized
- Tags: classification of pipes and tubes, difference between pipe and tube interview question, difference between pipe schedule and gauge, pipe and tube size chart, pipe vs tube size chart, pipe vs tube strength, tubing pipe sizes, what is tube
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TUBE AND PIPE
Heidi power plant engineers how are you? I hope everything’s going fine today we are discussed a very important topic related to power plant operation before starting it I tell you that this topic is asked by our Facebook group member he asked me a very important question that is what is the difference between pipes and tube?
in the sense of boiler we talking about steam is generated into boiler due to burring of fuel during the heat generated take place this heat gained by water in boiler tube (water wall panel ) .these boiler tube ( water wall panel ) are arranged in a parallel path to gain maximum heat. Steam is generated at high temperature and pressure.
This high temperature and pressure steam it brought up to load point (turbine) through pipes. when you looking generally both are looking same both are cylindrical but size is different but whenever anyone who asked about it we get confused giving the write answer about it because technically we are not able to differentiate both of them in this article we discussed technically what is the exact meaning of tube and pipe and what is the uses of industries and also we differentiate both of them accordingly their operation and on the basis of manufacturing.
Both tubes and pipes are used in a boiler. There are no significant differences between them. Both of them have inner diameter (ID) or bore, outer diameter (OD) and wall thickness. But they can be differentiated by the following three dimensions.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TUBE AND PIPE ON THE BASIS OF DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
During tube production, it’s making with a higher tolerance. Tube outer diameter (OD) and wall thickness (t) are generally used to express the size of a tube. When the wall thickness of the tube (having the same OD) increases, inner diameter (ID) reduced • A 2 inch * 0.065-inch tube means OD of the tube is 2 inch and wall thickness is 0.065 inch. These two dimensions are preciously measured. The thickness of the tube wall is selected as per the pressure rating.
During pipe production it’s making with lower tolerance. Inner diameter (ID) is the critical dimension
of a pipe. ID is expressed normally or approximately. A 2-inch pipe means ID of the pipe is approximately 2 inches.
• The wall thickness of a pipe is designated by various schedules. Exact wall thickness of anyone schedule changes with the pipe size. Wall thickness of a 2 inch, schedule 40 pipe is 0.154 inch. Whereas, for a 3 inch, schedule 40 pipe, it is 0.216 inch.
But irrespective of the schedule, the outer diameter of a particular size pipe is same. OD of a 2 inch, schedule 40 and schedule–80 pipe is 2.375 inch both the cases. The difference between 2 inch*0.065 inches in the tube and a 2 inch, schedule 5 (wall thickness 0.065 in) as shown in the given Diagram
A tube is used where heat transfer takes place at the time of fluid flow. But, in case of a pipe, only the fluid flows
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TUBE AND PIPE ACCORDING TO THICKNESS
PIPE:- In terms of thickness pipe wall thickness is generally measured in scheduled numbers.
TUBE :- if we measured the tube thickness we are used following terms like millimeters , inches or BWG (Birmingham wire gauge.)
READ MORE ARTICLE RELATED TO TURBINE OPERATION HERE:-
- Woodward 505 governor controlling / operation
- Types of cooling towers used in power plants
- Calculating performance of Steam Turbine, Overall Plant,Gas Turbine and Heat Recovery Steam Generator (HRSG).
- Induced Draft cooling tower for power plant
- Why we need condensing turbine vacuumize before cold startup ?
- RESIN BEHIND DROPPING CONDENSER VACUUM
- FUNCTION OF OIL PUMPS IN TURBINE LUBRICATION SYSTEM
- FUNCTION OF EACH OIL PUMP IN TURBINE LUBRICATION SYSTEM
- FUNCTION OF STEAM JET EJECTOR IN STEAM TURBINE
- Situations in which need to urgently shut down of steam turbine
- TURBINE THRUST BEARING AND IT’S FUNCTION
- STEAM TURBINE JOURNAL BEARING AND IT’S FUNCTION
- Turbine Rotor critical rotation speed
- Type of emergency in steam turbine
- Function of turbine steam cylinder in turbine operation
- Working principal of steam turbine
- Classification of the steam turbine
- FUNCTION OF GLAND STEAMING IN TURBINE OPERATION
- FUNCTION OF LABYRINTH PACKING IN STEAM TURBINE
- Difference between the Impulse and Reaction turbine
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TUBE AND PIPE ACCORDING TO SIZE :
PIPE:- if we differentiate pipe from the tube according to the size then pipe size is given by NB (Nominal Bore ), DN (Diameter Nominal ) NPS ( nominal pipe size )
TUBE:- if we specified tube according to the size then tube size generally measured in millimeter or inches by outside diameter.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TUBE AND PIPE ACCORDING TO THE DIAMETER
PIPE:- Generally outside diameter of pipe up to size 12” are numerically larger than corresponding pipe size
TUBE:- if we looking the outside diameter of the tube it’s numerically equal to the corresponding size
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TUBE AND PIPE ACCORDING TO THEIR USES :
PIPE:- pipes are used all over the process plant as well their utilities
TUBE:- tube are generally used in the thermic fluid heater , heat exchanger and instrumentation connection, etc.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TUBE AND PIPE ACCORDING TO CROSS SECTION AREA:-
if we differentiate tube and pipe according to the cross-section area then A tube can have rectangular, square or a circular cross-section area whereas a pipe is of the circular cross-section only
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TUBE AND PIPE ACCORDING TO DUCTILITY :- if we differentiate tube and pipe according to the ductility tube is a lot more ductile as compared to a pipe.
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST “DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TUBE AND PIPE “PLEASE LIKE , SHARE AND YOU COMMENTS IS VERY VALUABLE SO PLEASE GIVE YOUR SUGGESTIONS IN COMMENT BOX please read once time if any mistake you find in this article please suggest me through comment box or if this website contains all original article which is written by me if any article on this site find copyrighted please inform me through at firstname.lastname@example.org…….. please join our website www.askpowerplant.com without any cost just subscribe with your email for my latest post……………………….. THANKS, JAI HIND JAI BHARAT
Heii all power engineers myself joginder chauhan . i am the founder of my website www.askpowerplant.com. i am also a power engineer and having the more than 5 year experience in the field of power sectors during this time period i learn about different power technology like AFBC , CFBC , TRAVELLING GRATE , PULSATING GREAT , PF BOILER , WHRS and many more things . my motive from this site sharing my power sector knowledge each and everyone who belonging to this field , in this website i share information related to boiler operation , boiler maintenance , turbine operation & maintenance , boiler & turbine question answer , D.M plant , and all topic related to power plant sector please join this website for latest updation regarding power plant ………..thanks ( JOGINDER CHAUHAN )