TOP 10 REASONS BEHIND CLINKER FORMATION IN BOILER FURNACE
- By : Joginder chauhan
- Category : BOILER OPERATION
- Tags: clinker formation in biomass boiler, clinker formation in oil fired boiler, clinker meaning in hindi, coal clinker uses, difference between clinkering and slagging, process of clinker formation in boiler, typical causes of slagging and fouling problems in boilers, what is clinker
TOP 10REASONS BEHIND CLINKER FORMATION IN BOILER FURNACE
Heii all power plant engineers I hope all is well today I wanna go to discuss a very important topic related to the thermopack heater as well this topic is very important to those who worked into boiler operation in the steam power plant .this topic is about what the reasons behind clinker formation inside the boiler or heater furnace. The clinker formation may take place if the bed temperature (hot spots) rises above ash softening temperature. If clinker formation takes place inside the furnace then it causes poor combustion as well as reduced the furnace temperature, which further results in the loss of steam pressure and reduced the power generation.
so that during the operation of the boiler or heater it should be taken more attention to it. if the clinker formation takes place inside the furnace it becomes harder because it contains metals ores inside it and form more hard lumps . for removing it from the furnace we put more efforts as well we take more manpower for handling it, many time we used pneumatic tools or cutting or grinding tools for breaking the clinker inside the furnace . This situation may arise if the followings conditions arise during the operation of the thermopack heater.
TOP 10 REASONS BEHIND CLINKER FORMATION IN BOILER FURNACE:-
1. Ash softening temperature limit is low
2. The fuel size is more than 10 mm or fines % is more.
3. Fuel feeding rate is higher than the required rate.
4. The air quantity is not sufficient to cool the bed to control bed temperature.
5. Fuel feed is not mixed in the bed uniformly. Higher fuel consumption in a part of bed will raise the temperature in that part of a bed, above the softening temperature.
6. Air nozzle is a part of the bed is clogged.
7. Bed temperature controller not sensing bed temperature properly. ( Due to wrong position or inadequate insertion of the sensor, damage to the sensor, broken cable, damaged instrumentation, tampered set point, clinker formation of slumped bed around the sensor, etc.
- Excessive charcoal feed during startup and FD air not supplied sufficiently.
- many times we used coal for boiler as a fuel so that whenever we used India coal or Indonesian so that many times so of the company purchase the poor coal so that in poor coal ash content is high as well mineral sulphur content also high so that it also causes the clinker formation inside the boiler or heater furnace.
- Many times when the iron content is an increase in the bed material more than 20% it indicates the recycling the bed material of charge fresh bed material inside the furnace if it is not rectified then it also cause the clinker formation inside the boiler or heater furnace.
During start-up, when fuel feeding commences at 500 dig. Celsius bed temperature the fixed carbon combustion rate is initially slower. Hence it will go on the accumulation in bed till the bed temperature reaches the operating temperature. At operating temperature, the excess air burns this accumulated fuel and the increased heat release will increase bed temperature leading to clinker formation.
A sincere power plant engineer for boiler operation and a panel or SCADA operation engineer avoid this situation If proper precaution is taken to avoid the above errors, there is no chance of clinker formation in the bed. It is not advisable to run the unit if the clinker formation has taken place. Clinker should be removed through access doors after stopping fuel feeder and both the blowers.
Summary: major cause or clinker formation inside the boiler furnace as well as thermopack heater is overfeeding which causes the increase the bed material or coal ash temperature up to the fusion point which cause the clinker formation inside the boiler furnace so that during operation it must be observed that if the furnace temperature goes above the high limits reduced the coal feeding and also rectified the points which cause the furnace high temperature. Also, adjust the proper combustion air for the boiler furnace improper air is also causes the clinker formation. Used good quality of coal for feeding into the furnace because good quality coal has high GCV ( gross calorific value ) and low ash content. Regular watch the furnace within a specific interval of time when poking is required then do it. The best method for avoiding the clinker formation inside the furnace is a precaution. In boiler operation engineer and thermopack operation engineer takes precaution during operation it can avoid clinker formation up to 95%.
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST “TOP 10 REASONS BEHIND CLINKER FORMATION IN BOILER FURNACE“PLEASE LIKE , SHARE AND YOU COMMENTS IS VERY VALUABLE SO PLEASE GIVE YOUR SUGGESTIONS IN COMMENT BOX please read once time if any mistake you find in this article please suggest me through comment box or if this website contains all original article which is written by me if any article on this site find copyrighted please inform me through at email@example.com…….. please join our website www.askpowerplant.com without any cost just subscribe with your email for my latest post……………………….. THANKS, JAI HIND JAI BHARAT
Heii all power engineers myself joginder chauhan . i am the founder of my website www.askpowerplant.com. i am also a power engineer and having the more than 5 year experience in the field of power sectors during this time period i learn about different power technology like AFBC , CFBC , TRAVELLING GRATE , PULSATING GREAT , PF BOILER , WHRS and many more things . my motive from this site sharing my power sector knowledge each and everyone who belonging to this field , in this website i share information related to boiler operation , boiler maintenance , turbine operation & maintenance , boiler & turbine question answer , D.M plant , and all topic related to power plant sector please join this website for latest updation regarding power plant ………..thanks ( JOGINDER CHAUHAN )